Thursday 18 January 2018

Foolish Hearts, Book Review

Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills

Rate: 4/5
Goodreads Summary:
The day of the last party of the summer, Claudia overhears a conversation she wasn't supposed to. Now on the wrong side of one of the meanest girls in school, Claudia doesn't know what to expect when the two are paired up to write a paper—let alone when they're both forced to try out for the school production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

But mandatory participation has its upsides—namely, an unexpected friendship, a boy band obsession, and a guy with the best-dimpled smile Claudia's ever seen. As Claudia's world starts to expand, she finds that maybe there are some things worth sticking her neck out for.


Thoughts and Opinions

Foolish Hearts
            I came about this book from my OwlCrate Seize the Day box, and I am glad I did. Usually, when I'm in a reading slump, I go to contemporary books cause they're mostly easy to read and easy to get into. As far as contemporary books go, it's pretty predictable, but I enjoyed reading it anyway. 
            Basically, this book is about Claudia, our MC, who was unfortunately at the wrong place at the wrong time. By that, I mean, all she wanted to do was use the washroom at a summer party until she overheard a couple arguing and pretty much was present during the whole break up. So ya, way to end the summer and start her senior year. Anyways skip to her English class where she gets paired up with Iris, the same girl who's breakup she overheard (who is the meaner and scarier one out of the couple) and they work on an essay which they do badly on. They now have to get involved with the boy's school, Danforth Prep on their performance for A Midsummer Night's Dream in order to earn extra credit... There begins the adventure of Claudia meeting new people (perhaps a possible boyfriend?) and making friends with unexpected people. 
            What I enjoyed about this book was the whole idea of getting out of your comfort zone and making new friends in unexpected places with unexpected people. I loved how there was character growth in not just Claudia, but also for the rest of the minor characters. I enjoyed Iris's arc though because I didn't peg her to be a boy band fanatic, and she turned out to be a great friend. Aaaaww Gideon, he's a sweetie. I pretty much fall in love with every character the MC falls in love with too. Because really, who wouldn't want a loyal friend? 
            I think what I really enjoyed most about this book was how light and easy it was. It didn't take too long to get into it and there were funny moments which made me laugh. Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who is up for a quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment