Sunday 11 September 2016

Benefits of Reading!

1. Knowledge
It's true, reading gives you more knowledge! For each book you read, whether it's contemporary, fantasy, non-fiction etc. you have to have learned something from the book. Besides, knowledge can help you survive many challenges, the more knowledge you have, the better you are at solving problems. It  helps you recognise that some of the events happening in these book apply in your life and in doing that you're actually being more aware of your surroundings and taking in things that you usually would not notice or keep in mind of. It can also help you have an idea on how to act around people, like when you read a books where the MC (main character) is  consoling a friend, you can do the same thing to the people around you. 


                     
 2. Better Vocabulary
Yes, your vocabulary increases. I was not born in a full English speaking country, English was my second language. When I moved to Canada I had a very limited English experience. I have lived long enough in Canada to adopt my speaking skills, (Fun Fact: I hated reading most my life until last summer where I basically fell in love with books once my cousin kept nagging me to read them) I started to speak fluently in English but based on academic, English was always my lowest grade, kind of like an outlier. After last summer when I started to read massive about of books, as my vocabulary increased so did my grades... by a lot! It also helps when you're playing scrabble (pretty much how my family spends Friday nights). This kind of ties in with knowledge as well. The words you stumble upon on will start showing up on your daily vocabulary and just the way you usually talk that it will come off so naturally you wouldn't have to think twice. 


3. Connecting with others                  
Reading books can give you a reason to talk to other people about something. It's a conversation starter as much as any other topics; sports, weather, shows, music etc. After two months of starting my bookstagram account, I've been able to interact with other book lovers who share the same interest in the books I've read. Some people share the same views and opinions as I do, and some doesn't. That's totally okay with me because I am able to see things from different a perspective and notice things I may not have noticed until someone points it out. You meet people who share the same likes and dislikes in books and being able to discuss and talk about books is pretty cool. It gives you a chance to connect and understand people. It's really exciting because they're from different places of the world and that we are able to communicate through the internet. 

So basically, reading has its own benefits. Each person gets something different out of it. Reading books could be a way for people to be a part of something, religious beliefs are also in play, a way to learn about a person; bibliographies, to know about how certain things work; manuals, and researches about topics that they show interest in. Really, books are pretty much a life line. 



No comments:

Post a Comment