Thursday 22 September 2016

The Problem with Forever, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The Problem with Forever Review


Rating: 4/5
Summary:

For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.
Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.
It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realize that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard.

Thoughts:
No automatic alt text available.     Basically, I really really liked this book. Admittedly, it had taken me longer to read this book than my usual time. I was just a bit busy and I didn't really want to start it because I never liked to read a book unless I read it in one sitting. Nevertheless, I ended up reading it and I'm glad I did. It wasn't a cliché YA contemporary book. Yes there is some romance in it, but it didn't really focus on that. It was more on the importance of friendship and trying. This book contains a lot of thoughts and objectives, so I'm going to try my best to convey my thoughts through here.

     The book is through Mallory's POV. After years of being home schooled by her adoptive parents, Carl and Rosa, she's decided to take the step of spending senior year in the local public school. This was a big deal to her because she didn't talk. She didn't talk because it's how she's been "programmed" that way according to her therapist. Before her life with the Rivas, she grew up in a foster home with Rider Stark, her one and only childhood friend. She had a tough time in the foster home because the foster parents didn't pay much attention to them and they were usually drunk and having parties. Her foster parents were very abusive and got really violent easily. That is until one unfortunate afternoon when Mallory got really hurt which led her to the hospital. The Rivas were her doctors and they were fond of her so they decided to adopt her. That was the last time she's ever seen or heard from Rider... Until the first day of senior year.
   
     This was a different read because there's a lot going on and it was filled with different streams and ideas that still went together perfectly. In the beginning of the book, Rider called Mallory "Mouse". This was his nickname for her because she was really quiet. From that point to the half of the book, she's been fine with him calling her Mouse. But then her character started growing and understanding her surroundings. She begins to transform to Mallory. Usually when a character goes through that change and level of maturation, most readers wouldn't be able to notice it. It was a different situation for this book. Our MC went from being "Mouse" to "Mallory" and the transformation was smooth but recognisable at the same time. I think that the fact that I was able to notice this is one of the reasons that I liked this book. It's usually rare when that happens, so I was glad that I was able to pick up on it.

     On the other hand, everything was going well for both Rider and Mallory, up to the part where they were at a party and something horribly happens to one of the minor characters. This event impacted both Rider and Mallory. Once again, this is where J. Armentrout sets up that change in focus. The focus of the book goes from Mallory to Rider. This change was kind of an ironic one. This was because Rider has been the one encouraging her to get out of her comfort zone, but then she becomes the one who begins to yell at Rider because of the way he looks at himself. It took me a while to wrap my head around this because wasn't she the one who had a low self esteem? The one who needed pushing? So really, she shouldn't be mad at Rider because he has chosen to give up on himself a long time ago [note the sarcasm]. But things worked out the way it did because thanks to Rider and the events that happened around her, Mallory was able to recognize her strength as an individual and her ability to see the best in people which in the end is what saved Rider from his demise. Like I said, very ironic.

     While we're on the topic, I want to talk about Rider. His personality throughout the book was loving and selfless towards Mallory. He said the right things at the right time and did things at the right moment. He was a perfect character - he didn't cheat, didn't do anything horrible, or even the typical mistakes that most fictional guys did. Which was my problem... He was too perfect that he almost seemed fake. Prior to the part where Mallory took note of what was actually going through him that made him real. In addition, I also liked that J. Armentrout included the fact that he's a virgin. Most people wouldn't care about this but to me, this was something that I was kind of happy to see because it goes against most stereotypes in books. Most contemporary/romance books, the guy is always the "skilled one" and is expert in that kind of stuff meanwhile the girl is the one who is a virgin. I've been reading a lot of contemporary books lately and it's the same trope; girl is a virgin, boy is not. Details like this drive me mad because it's so frustrating that this is the way how the story is. Girls can be the experienced ones and guys can be the clueless ones when it comes to sex. I need to see more of this because it's been something that's bothering me every time I stumble upon it.

     Overall, this book was a refreshing book because it isn't like how most contemporary books go. I love reading books that show different perspectives and ideas. The characters showed a lot of developments and took action, the plot was constant and the plot twists occurred at the appropriate moment.  This book has opened another perspective of life for me. Reading what Mallory has been through as a child was a lot for me to take in because I've never been in that position and the fact that this is the reality of most people is something that my mind cannot wrap around. The idea that it can be anyone around you is something we should keep in mind as well. I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment